This is a collection of my personal security tips that I follow in no given order. Feel free to use them and add to them.
- Use a passphrase instead of a password.
- Turn on multifactor authentication. Physical token > One time code > Push “Approve/Deny”.
- Don’t operate as Administrator/System/root.
- Turn on automatic updates.
- Use a decentralized encrypted application for sensitive conversations. Don’t use free services, email, or SMS.
- Install an adblocker like uBlock Origin and PiHole.
- Download software direct from the vendor - third party sites may host compromised copies.
- Encrypt your harddrive.
- Configure your phone to erase all data if the wrong passcode is entered too many times.
- Email is plaintext. If you want the contents to be private then you need to encrypt it. This is cumbersome but worth it if you value privacy.
- Review your privacy settings on social media. Restrict what you share and to whom.
- Don’t click links from strangers.
- If someone asks you to switch to a different platform to continue the discussion then it is likely a scam.